National: Second royal engagement as Zara Phillips to wed
THE Queen’s granddaughter Zara Phillips has got engaged to long-term boyfriend Mike Tindall, Buckingham Palace said today.
Mr Tindall proposed to his partner last night at their Gloucestershire home and the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are said to be “delighted” by the news, a Palace spokeswoman said.
A Buckingham Palace statement said: “The Princess Royal and Captain Mark Phillips are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter Zara Phillips to Mr Mike Tindall, son of Mr Phillip and Mrs Linda Tindall.”
The news that Zara is to wed her boyfriend, a professional rugby player with Gloucester, comes soon after the engagement of Prince William and Kate Middleton last month.
The couple have not yet set a date but it seems likely they will tie the knot in 2011 - setting up the prospect of two royal weddings next year.
You may also want to watch:
A Palace spokeswoman said: “The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are delighted with the news.
“They got engaged yesterday evening at the couple’s home in Gloucestershire and a date has yet to be set.’’
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 9 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car