National update: One dead and another fighting for his life after shooting on nuclear submarine
ONE man is believed to have been killed and another is fighting for his life after a shooting on board a nuclear submarine today, police said.
One man has been arrested, police said, after the incident on HMS Astute, which is currently docked in Southampton.
In a statement Hampshire Police said the incident was not terror-related and there was no risk to the public.
Police and the Ministry of Defence would not comment on reports that the person who died in the shooting was a Royal Navy officer.
Several police vehicles were sent to the Eastern Docks at the Hampshire port and officers could be seen on the gangway of the submarine.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: “Hampshire police were called by their Ministry of Defence colleagues at 12.12pm today and are currently liaising with them to establish the exact circumstances of the incident.
“In both cases next of kin have not been notified, but officers are in the process of informing the families.
- 1 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 5 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 6 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 7 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 8 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 9 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 10 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
“No further details about the injured people will be released until this has been done.”
“Hampshire Constabulary and the MoD are keen to stress this incident is not terrorist related.
“More information will be circulated as it becomes available.”