Needham Market: Emergency band of volunteers to be set up to deal with disasters
A RESPONSE group is being formed in a Suffolk town to help people deal with emergencies.
A team at Mid Suffolk District Council is seeking volunteers to join a community emergency planning group in Needham Market so that they can respond and support the rescue services during an incident.
The council’s emergency planning officer Sue Herne said: “We realise people may think it is up to the emergency services to respond to an incident but the increasing number of natural disasters and other incidents can outstrip their capacity to respond. This can leave communities having to cope on their own until the rescue services can get through to them.
“For example if there was a road traffic accident in another part of the region the emergency services would be diverted there. If a community group was in place, it would enable the local community to be fully equipped to act immediately.”
So far the council team has had quite a few communities opt to form such groups, enabling them to be prepared. Groups have been set up in Barking, Baylam, Cotton, Creeting St Peter, Debenham and in several other communities in the Mid Suffolk and Babergh areas.
People in these communities use their skills, knowledge and resources to prepare for, and deal with, the consequences of emergencies.
Anyone interested in championing a community group for Needham Market, or willing to be involved in this project, will receive support from the council.
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 3 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 4 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 5 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 8 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 9 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 10 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Sue Herne 01449 724851.