Needham Market: Man released over body find in Suffolk lake
DETECTIVES have released a man they were questioning over the discovery of a woman’s body at a popular Suffolk beauty spot.
The 58-year-old man from Ipswich was arrested at 3.45pm yesterday following investigations into the discovery of the woman’s body at Needham Lake wildlife reserve.
But officers confirmed tonight that although he had been released from police custody he was instead being detained under section two of the Mental Health Act.
The body was found in the lake near Coddenham Road in Needham Market just before 8am yesterday.
It is thought the woman – believed to be in her 60s – was found by anglers attending a fishing competition.
You may also want to watch:
Police said the 58-year-old man remains in police custody at hospital and is yet to be questioned.
Tonight, Needham Lake remains cordoned off as further inquiries are carried out. A cordon at Wissett Lake has now been lifted.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
- 9 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 10 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
Police said they could not be sure how long the woman had been in the lake, or how she died, until her body had been examined by a pathologist.
A post-mortem examination is expected to be carried out in due course.
They want to speak to anyone who was in the area of Needham Lake between 4pm on Saturday and 8am yesterday, particularly in the early hours of the morning, and anyone who was at Wissett Lake between 4pm on Saturday and 4pm on Sunday.
The fire service also attended the scene yesterday morning to assist the police in recovering the body from the water.
An ambulance service spokesman added that paramedics and a rapid response vehicle were sent to the scene after they were contacted by police. He said the woman was confirmed dead at the scene.
Police would like to appeal for information from anyone in the area of Needham Market lake between 4pm on Saturday February 19 and 8am Sunday February 20, particularly in the early hours of Sunday morning. If you saw anything you consider suspicious please contact the Major Investigation Team at police headquarters on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.