Neighbour praised after lit candle sparks flat fire
FIREFIGHTERS have warned people to be wary of naked flames after an unguarded candle caused a flat fire this morning.
Crews were called shortly after 5am by a neighbour who spotted smoke coming from the property and raised the alarm.
They arrived at The Leys, in Wimbish, Saffron Walden, to find the flat filled with smoke and used one hose reel to extinguish the fire.
After the incident, sub officer Steve Norris said the neighbour’s quick action had prevented serious damage and urged people to take care when using candles in the home. “It appears the occupant of the flat had left the property, leaving behind a lit candle close to the curtains,” said Sub Officer Norris. “It’s important that people using candles in the home understand the dangers and never leave them unattended. They are a cause of a number of incidents attended by crews and this is avoidable if people take care.
“Had the neighbour not spotted the smoke, the incident could have been much more serious.”
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters from Thaxted and Saffron Walden had the flames under control by 05.35am.
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 8 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 9 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
- 10 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune