New bar and eatery Tavernetta opens in St Peter’s Street, Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Discover the gastronomy of southern Italy at new Ipswich bar and eatery Tavernetta.
Foodies who are looking to experience a southern Italian vibe by night, should head to Valentino’s sister business Tavernetta, which opened last Wednesday.
Situated next to the Gandhi restaurant, also in St Peter’s Street, Ipswich, diners will find a simple cuisine with a relaxed feel within the bar/eatery, which has been designed using a rustic/industrial look.
Bar manager Filippo Bonanno, who originally hails from Sicily in southern Italy, comments on the new venture: “We wanted to create an intimate environment where guests could come and relax with a cocktail and if they feel hungry, share one of our delicious platters for a family-style dining experience.”
And so far, guests seem to be enjoying the new menu with dishes including the bruschetta platter, the involtini di melanzane with stuffed aubergines, as well as meatballs, stuffed rice balls (arancini), baked mushrooms, ribs and much more.
However if there’s room for something larger, Tavernetta also serves up tossed salads with salmon and walnuts, lasagne, penne al forna, chicken dishes, and involtini di pesce spade; a popular dish in Sicily, which comprises breaded swordfish rolls that are prepared with a tomato sauce, capers, olives and raisins.
To go alongside the extensive sharing menu, the large bar area stocks over 30 different varieties of gin and has almost 20 sorts of vodka to satisfy any spirit lover’s desire after work. There’s also a distinctly Italian wine list and six different types of Champagne to help a party toast to an occasion.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 4 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 5 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 6 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 7 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 8 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 9 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 10 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
“What’s different here, when compared to our sister business Valentino’s, is the fact we have more of an Italian-style tapas bar concept, rather than being a pizza/pasta-style restaurant. We also have a chilled-out feel, with jazz and ambient music playing in the background. It’s a great space to catch up with friends and family on any evening of the week,” added Filippo.
Find Tavernetta (gastronomia Italiana) at 10 St Peter’s Street, Ipswich or call 01473 805290.
Join our online foodie Facebook community Eat Suffolk