New sites will allow more visitors to enjoy the ‘beach hut experience’ at Felixstowe
- Credit: citizenside.com
New chalet sites are to be created in Felixstowe for the first time in more than a decade as part of proposals to give more people the “beach hut experience”.
Landowner Suffolk Coastal council is aiming to create 100 new huts in the next few years and has announced the first 23 at two sites at the resort.
TJ Haworth-Culf, cabinet member for customers, communities and leisure, said planning applications had been submitted for 17 huts at The Dip, Cliff Road, and six on South Beach on the south side of the pier.
She said: “Suffolk Coastal is committed to making beach huts more accessible to a wider range of people. We are looking to create up to 100 new beach hut sites by 2019.
“These will then be leased or rented out, so many more people will be able to enjoy the beach hut experience, even if it is just for a day, week or a year.
You may also want to watch:
“The two main drivers of the beach hut review were to improve equality by increasing the opportunities for residents to have access to a beach hut, while also maximising the income generated from this resource to invest in core services.
“The creation of new sites will provide additional funds to the council, thus reducing the burden on the Suffolk Coastal taxpayer.”
- 1 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 3 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 4 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 5 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 8 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Teenager who was diagnosed with cancer on birthday still chasing dream of becoming chef
Suffolk Coastal owns 906 beach hut sites in Felixstowe and 12 at Sizewell Beach.
The site at The Dip is a concrete platform historically known as The Dip boatyard previously given planning permission for new beach huts in 2005. The work was never carried out so the consent has lapsed.
Council officials say there is a good access to this area from Cliff Road and the huts will be sited close to the promenade.
The huts would be of the same standard size, design and construction as existing huts in the area.
Meanwhile, the huts at South Beach would be placed next to an existing row of beach huts, known as Pier South.
The site is approximately 150 metres south of the pier, where there is an existing area of raised beach platform, contained by retaining walls abutting the prom.
The council ‘s application also covers the repair and extension of the existing platform to accommodate the new huts, as well as enhancing and maintaining this area of the resort.