New Felixstowe pier building set to open on July 29
Owners of Felixstowe pier have announced that the new building will open to the public this month.
Work has been progressing rapidly on the project in recent weeks and it will mean the attraction will be able to make the most of the school summer holidays, bringing thousands of extra daytrippers to the resort.
A spokesman for the project said: “We are thrilled to announce that we will be opening our doors on July 29 ahead of our scheduled August opening.”
The team building the pierhead, understood to be costing around £3million, completed the main structure in the spring and in recent weeks have been focussing on finishing touches to the outside and fitting out and equipping the interior.
It will include a cafe/bar with al fresco dining, bowling, modern food outlets, and a family entertainments centre, and also include a boardwalk for promenading around the building over the beach and sea.
You may also want to watch:
The final piece in the project – expected to be fully completin by August – is the work to raise the level of the prom.
This will see the promenade sloping gently upwards in both directions to the height of the old doors at the top of the previous building’s entrance ramp and which is coincidentally the same height as the top of the sea wall.
- 1 Covid rule breaker travelled from Colchester to Norwich to deliver birthday present
- 2 Coronavirus infection rates drop in every district
- 3 A140 closed after lorry jackknifes in snow
- 4 Winter wonderland - 21 of today's best snow photos from Suffolk and north Essex
- 5 Matchday Recap: Blues claim three points from scrappy affair
- 6 Body found in search for missing man
- 7 Suffolk braced for up to 10cm of snow as warnings upgraded
- 8 Snow falls in Suffolk and north Essex
- 9 Ipswich Town turn down League One rivals' Donacien bid
- 10 Analysis: Is lockdown finally working in Suffolk?
The new level of the prom will then enable a walkway to be created from the Pier Bight area in front of the leisure centre – enabling people of all abilities to cross the sea wall and get into the pier building all year round.