New festive lights set to dazzle
By Juliette MaxamVISITORS to an historic town this festive season will be treated to a display of dazzling new Christmas lights, thanks to the generosity of local businesses.
By Juliette Maxam
VISITORS to an historic town this festive season will be treated to a display of dazzling new Christmas lights, thanks to the generosity of local businesses.
For many years, High Street in Colchester was one of the few in the country that remained in the dark over Christmas with no garlands to add festive cheer during the busiest shopping time of the year.
Then the now defunct Colchester town centre management company spent thousands of pounds on new Christmas lights, which led to the company going bust.
You may also want to watch:
The lights remained, but were a disappointing display, with garlands frequently breaking and leaving High Street unilluminated.
But the new Colchester Town Partnership has been working hard to help raise money to put on a spectacular glittering display in High Street and elsewhere in the town this Christmas.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
Financial director, John Warren, and town manager, Chris Rawlinson, have been contacting a number of firms who have given generously to ensure a dazzling Christmas in Colchester. So far £11,000 has been raised with promises of more to come.
Mr Warren said: "I have been bowled over with the generosity of companies in our town and I hope more will join them.
"There is no doubt will shall have one of the best displays in the East of England which in turn will attract many more people to Colchester to do their festive shopping."
The companies who have contributed so far are: Corporate Associates, NatWest Business Centre, Westside, Van Coles Photography, The Swan pub in Chappel, Design for Sound, Lay and Wheeler, Birkett Long Solicitors, Roy Chapman Associates, Ellisons Solicitors, The Colchester Chamber of Commerce and Williams and Griffin.
Any company that would like to be part of the sponsorship of the Christmas Lights this year should contact Chris Rawlinson on 01206 760000.