New Great Run Local event launches in Walsham-le-Willows
- Credit: Archant
A new Great Run Local event was launched in Walsham-le-Willows at the weekend with runners of all ages taking part.
The inaugural event was held on Sunday with runners taking on either a 2k or 5k distance from Walsham-le-Willows Sports Ground.
Runs will take place every Sunday from 9am and Walsham’s event has become the fifth Great Run Local event in Suffolk, joining Southwold, Needham Market, Newmarket and Holbrook.
Match funded grants of £1,750 have been awarded to Great Run Local by Mid Suffolk District Council and Suffolk County Council to help launch the latest community run in the county.
Julie Flatman, Mid Suffolk District Council’s cabinet member for communities, said: “This is a great partnership that continues to support our goal to encourage people who live in Mid Suffolk to lead more active lives.
You may also want to watch:
“These events are also a great way to get people into the Suffolk countryside and meet new friends. The support for the taster sessions has been brilliant and I am looking forward to seeing these numbers grow.”
James Reeder, Suffolk County Council’s cabinet member for health, said: “Our vision is to support, encourage and inspire our county to be more active. Small lifestyle changes can make a big difference.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 5 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 6 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
“The aim is to make Suffolk the most active county in the country and this is another step in helping Suffolk meet this goal. The efforts of the volunteers are really appreciated and is vital to the success of each event across the county.”
Mike Powles, Walsham sports club chairman, said; “Walsham-le-Willows Sports Club are pleased to be able to offer this regular event and help with making Suffolk a very active county and further enhance our desire to provide a true community hub and provide sporting activities such as this and walking netball and football.