New plan to redevelop resort's seafront
By John HowardA MULTI-MILLION-POUND redevelopment of derelict land in a coastal town will create new leisure facilities for tourists and residents, it has been pledged.
By John Howard
A MULTI-MILLION-POUND redevelopment of derelict land in a coastal town will create new leisure facilities for tourists and residents, it has been pledged.
Suffolk Coastal District Council will shortly receive new plans from its partner Bloor Homes for the redevelopment of 17.5 acres of derelict land at Felixstowe's south seafront.
The plans, which are expected to cost in the region of £20million, include 158 homes, more leisure and green space, a bigger and better choice of play equipment, a refreshment kiosk, new modern toilets and more than 260 car parking spaces.
You may also want to watch:
Rae Leighton, council cabinet member with responsibility for the south seafront, said: “The proposed scheme presents a real opportunity for Felixstowe.
“It would provide a wide range of services and recreational facilities for residents of the site and the surrounding area, as well as visitors to the resort.
- 1 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 2 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 6 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 7 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 8 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 9 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 10 Sunday Snap: A false start, new faces watching on, two returning blues and a transfer link
“The park, with its maritime theme, and the high-quality residential development, promises to be a multi-million-pound addition that will be central to the much-needed regeneration of the resort.
“I hope as many people as possible take the chance to comment on these proposals when they are submitted, and I have asked that a special exhibition be held at the Felixstowe Leisure Centre after the plans have been received.”
Bloor Homes will be building 158 homes as part of the redevelopment, 51 fewer than previously proposed, of which 16 will be social housing. Less than one-third of the site will now be used for residential purposes.
The play equipment will offer entertainment for children of all ages, with an adventure trail, multi-play slides and climbing rocks for junior and toddlers, an infant play area including see-saws and an eight-pad water splash feature.
An ancient monument consent has already been gained by Bloor Homes so unsightly garages can be removed from next to the Martello Tower. It will also lead to an archaeological examination of the historic moat around the tower.
A former Royal Observer Corps bunker will also be preserved, as recommended by English Heritage.