New sixth form college will be launched as scheduled next year
- Credit: Archant
A new sixth form college in Bury St Edmunds will be launched as scheduled next year despite its new facility not being ready to house students due to building delays.
The Abbeygate Sixth Form College will open in September 2019, but pupils will initially be accommodated at the University of Suffolk at West Suffolk College until building work is complete.
The new centre, which will be situated near King Edward VI School opposite the county and borough council offices and West Suffolk College, is now expected to open in spring 2020.
David Gartland, the sixth form’s principal, said: “I am excited that Abbeygate Sixth Form College will be opening in September 2019 and we will be accepting applications from October 2018.
“The opening of the new building will be a landmark moment in post-16 education for west Suffolk.
“In the meantime, we will be using existing facilities in the heart of Bury St Edmunds which will enable us to continue to give our students a fantastic A-level experience.
You may also want to watch:
“The transition to the new building will be smooth and cause no disruption to the student experience.
“I look forward to working with my team of dedicated and committed teachers and support staff, who have consistently delivered outstanding outcomes for their students, in providing an unrivalled curriculum offer of over 30 different A-level subjects.”
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 5 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 6 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 7 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 8 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 9 Town's new owners to discuss player recruitment with Cook this week
- 10 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
Abbeygate is the result of the collaboration between One Sixth Form College and West Suffolk College to create the Suffolk Academies Trust.
Partner schools in the project include King Edward VI School, Newmarket Academy, Stour Valley Community School, and Sybil Andrews Academy.
Lee Walker, headteacher at King Edward VI School, said: “We are delighted to be working so closely with Abbeygate Sixth Form College in this exciting venture which will offer such a rich academic experience for the young people of west Suffolk.”
Abbeygate Sixth Form College will be represented at all local post-16 evenings in schools to meet prospective students and parents.
An open event will also be held in November, with the date to be confirmed.
In addition there will be an Abbeygate information area at the forthcoming West Suffolk College open events on Saturday, November 3, Thursday, November 15, Saturday, March 2, 2019, and Tuesday, April 2, 2019.