New award to celebrate town’s tourism industry as season is launched
- Credit: Archant
More than 80 tourism-related businesses, organisations and individuals from Felixstowe joined together to launch the resort’s 2018 holiday season – and a new award to celebrate its attractions.
Nick Barber, chairman of the Visit Felixstowe Tourism Working Group, announced the six nominees shortlisted for the town’s first Tourism Award to celebrate its tourist industry by rewarding an organisation or businesses which has excelled during the past year.
These are Felixstowe Museum, the Festival of Fabric, Felixstowe Pier, the Felixstowe Carnival Proms Concert, Felixstowe Ferry Golf Course and the Suffolk Armed Forces Weekend.
The proms concert and Suffolk Armed Forces Weekend, which included a mock battle at Landguard Fort, both attracted huge crowds, while the new pier head opened last summer.
An online public vote has opened on the Visit Felixstowe website – www.visitfelixstowe.org.uk – and people have until Friday, April 20 to vote for their favourite.
You may also want to watch:
The tourist season launch was held at the seafront Copas Bar at Manning’s Amusements as part of English Tourism Week with representatives from attractions, accommodation providers, shops and event organisers attending.
The new Visit Felixstowe website and DL promotional leaflet was also officially launched at the event.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
Helen Greengrass, Felixstowe Forward change director, said: “We are so overwhelmed by the support of this second launch event, which has doubled in attendance.
“It is great that so many of our Felixstowe tourism-based businesses and organisations have come together to work in partnership and offer great days by the sea for everyone in 2018. A big thank you to everyone who came along to support this event.
“We have introduced the new annual award to celebrate the fantastic tourism industry in the town.
“We would like to congratulate all six shortlisted nominees for their achievements over the past year, alongside everyone else who contributes to welcoming, entertaining and looking after our visitors. Now it is over to the general public who will select the worthy winner.”
The winner will be announced at the annual town meeting held at the Felixstowe Academy on Wednesday, May 9.