East Anglian rail links to London should improve after Liverpool Street work
- Credit: Archant
Engineers from Network Rail have replaced almost a mile of track in the entrance to London’s Liverpool Street Station over the last six weekends.
They were working in the Bishopsgate tunnel to replace old track which had come to the end of its working life. In total, more than 1,550 metres (1,698 yards) of track was replaced, alongside installing new rail sleepers and ballast.
Because of the difficulty of working near a major London railway terminus station - as well as keeping passenger services running during the week - passengers may have noticed that a section of platform 1 was used to store all the necessary equipment for the duration of the works.
The team also faced challenges of working in a confined space, with limited ventilation and close to a sewer.
Mick Copper, project manager for Anglia, said: "The project presented many challenges, most notably working in the third busiest railway station in the country, and keeping as many passengers moving as possible.
You may also want to watch:
"The condition of the track meant there was risk of track circuit failures due to flooding if the work was not carried out, and we were able to carry out most of the work while keeping trains running.
"Now that the work is complete, I hope this provides passengers with a more reliable service for many years to come."
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk