New update/video: Mystery surrounds suspected chemical leak
FIRE crews have been unable to identify the cause or source of suspected “noxious fumes” in Colchester.
Emergency services were called to county council building Essex House in The Crescent, Colchester, just before 12.40pm today.
The building was evacuated and a 400m exclusion zone set-up after workers fell ill reporting a strange smell.
Around 30 people who reported feeling dizzy and nauseous were treated by paramedics at the scene but the East of England Ambulance said they have not been able to any particular cause for their illness.
The workers reported a noxious smell in the area and specialist fire crews teams were called to identify what was leaking.
Cordons have now been lifted and discussions will be held with the Health Protection Agency.
If anyone who was involved in today’s incident and has a genuine concern for their health they should ring NHS Direct on 0845 4647 in the first instance to get advice.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 6 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 7 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 8 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 9 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
- 10 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?