New Year’s Day Dip postponed due to ongoing search for Sophie Smith
- Credit: Archant
An annual New Year’s Day event has been postponed due to the continued search effort for missing student Sophie Smith.
The traditional New Year’s Day Dip had been scheduled to take place tomorrow from 10.30am behind the Pier Hotel in Gorleston.
But as the search for 21-year-old Sophie goes on, East Coast Hospice - the charity hosting the popular swim - have decided to postpone the event.
A spokesman for the charity said: “As a charity, we feel that it would be insensitive for us to continue with the event whilst Sophie’s family, friends, the local community and emergency services are concentrating their searches along the Gorleston coastline area, where every effort is being made to find her.
“Our thoughts are with Sophie’s family at this difficult time.”
You may also want to watch:
Sophie disappeared from her home on Avondale Road in Gorleston at 3am on Boxing Day morning.
CCTV footage captured her heading towards the seafront a short time later, but there have been no other confirmed sightings since then.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn