Serious fire causes ‘substantial’ damage to Suffolk pub of the year winner
- Credit: Ian Pope
An award-winning Suffolk pub has suffered a serious fire this evening.
The Fox Inn in Newbourne, near Woodbridge, which was named Pub of the Year in the Eat Suffolk Food and Drink Awards 2018, is said to have suffered substantial damage in the blaze.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was alerted just before 5pm and spent around two hours tackling the blaze.
A fire service spokesman said it was believed the fire started in a tumble dryer in an out building and spread to the main pub, which is a part of the Deben Inns business.
The spokesman was unable to give a full account of the damage caused but said it was “substantial” and parts of the building had to be cut away to fight the blaze inside. The pub is renowned for the “chocolate box” appearance of its 16th century building.
You may also want to watch:
It had only held ‘Fox Fest’ on Friday and Saturday, a family event featuring live music and BBQ.
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 4 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 5 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 6 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 8 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 9 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 10 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout