Newmarket: Death of man found in woods is “unexplained”
- Credit: Archant
MYSTERY surrounds the death of a man whose body was discovered by friends in a wooded area in Newmarket.
Four men went into Newmarket Police Station at about 6.15pm on Thursday to say they had found the man dead following a search. He had gone missing four days earlier.
Officers immediately attended the wooded area, off Bury Road, and found the body of a man, possibly in his 30s or 40s.
Police have now established that the dead man, who had not previously been reported as missing, used to visit the area often.
Initial enquiries have established he is a foreign national and his next of kin live abroad. Police are in the process of locating his family.
Formal identification has taken place, however details of the man will not be released until his next of kin have been notified.
A standard post-mortem examination is due to take place on Tuesday to ascertain the cause of death. At this stage, it is being treated as unexplained.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 6 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 7 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
- 8 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 9 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 10 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
A number of stables based along Bury Road said they were not aware any of their employees had gone missing.
The area in the woods was cordoned off, but that has since been lifted.
Anyone with information is asked to call Suffolk Police on 101.