Newmarket: Death of man found in woods is “unexplained”
- Credit: Archant
MYSTERY surrounds the death of a man whose body was discovered by friends in a wooded area in Newmarket.
Four men went into Newmarket Police Station at about 6.15pm on Thursday to say they had found the man dead following a search. He had gone missing four days earlier.
Officers immediately attended the wooded area, off Bury Road, and found the body of a man, possibly in his 30s or 40s.
Police have now established that the dead man, who had not previously been reported as missing, used to visit the area often.
Initial enquiries have established he is a foreign national and his next of kin live abroad. Police are in the process of locating his family.
You may also want to watch:
Formal identification has taken place, however details of the man will not be released until his next of kin have been notified.
A standard post-mortem examination is due to take place on Tuesday to ascertain the cause of death. At this stage, it is being treated as unexplained.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
A number of stables based along Bury Road said they were not aware any of their employees had gone missing.
The area in the woods was cordoned off, but that has since been lifted.
Anyone with information is asked to call Suffolk Police on 101.