Newmarket: Friends shocked as stable hand found hanging in The Watercourse

FRIENDS of a stable worker who was founded hanged along a walkway in a Suffolk racing town have spoken of their shock at his death.

Danny Daw, 50, was found hanging down from hand rails near a small stream in The Watercourse, Newmarket, just minutes after drinking with friends.

Mr Daw, who lived in flats in nearby Howard de Walden Way, was discovered around 9.40pm on Wednesday, hanging down a cutting to the stream along the walkway, known locally as the Yellow Brick Road.

Despite efforts by paramedics to resuscitate Mr Daw, he was declared dead at the scene.

Shocked friends of Mr Daw, who worked as a stable hand at Darley Stud Management in Newmarket, were yesterday coming to terms with his sudden death.

You may also want to watch:

Brian Elder, 72, a close friend of Mr Daw, said he had no idea what may have caused him to take his own life.

“He was such a jolly chap, so strong,” Mr Elder said. “He loved his life and his job and everybody loved him.

Most Read

“There were no signs he would do something like this.”

Mr Daw had been living in Newmarket for the past three years, having moved to the town from New Zealand where he is thought to have family.

A regular at the New Astley Club in Fred Archer Way, Mr Daw was a popular pool player and had been drinking with friends in the bar just a short time before he died on Wednesday night.

Friends of Mr Daw gathered yesterday at the club, popular with people employed in the racing industry, to piece together the mystery of his death.

Mr Elder of Skeaping Close, Newmarket, said he feared Mr Daw had recently received bad news about a bid to bring his wife over to the UK from the Philippines.

“He was so kind, so genuine,” Mr Elder said. “That’s the only thing I think it could be.

“He was the best of friends.

“I miss him already.”

A friend of Mr Daw, who asked not to be named, was one of the first one the scene after Mr Daw’s body had been found and ran to call the emergency services.

“I was stunned,” he said. “I was in shock.

“We had been watching a football match earlier then suddenly, he just stood up and left.”

Police officers were yesterday trying to trace Mr Daw’s next of kin.

An inquest will be opened into his death in due course.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus