Newmarket/Mildenhall: Police officers who risked their own lives to deal with armed drink driver who was self-harming are given bravery awards
- Credit: PA
Two Suffolk police constables have been recognised for their bravery after risking their lives when dealing with a knife-wielding drink driver who stabbed himself in the stomach and attacked them.
Pcs Rebecca Gardiner and Paul Osmond, based in Mildenhall, were among the winners at the national Police Bravery Awards held by the Police Federation last night.
The pair responded to a 999 call following a three-car crash on July 3, 2012 – but one of the vehicles had sped off.
They tracked the vehicle down to an address in Newmarket. There they found the driver who appeared to be under the influence of alcohol.
The man, armed with a kitchen knife, then started to self-harm by stabbing himself in the stomach. The officers tried to stop him but he continued and threatened to attack them.
You may also want to watch:
A struggle broke out with Pc Gardiner using pepper spray to try to control him as blood poured from the wound. Instead the spray temporarily blinded her colleague. The man then lunged at Pc Gardiner with the knife, penetrating her stab vest.
Pc Osmond finally managed to force him to drop the knife before he was arrested.
- 1 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 2 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 3 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 4 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 5 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 8 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 9 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 10 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
The man later tested positive for alcohol following a breath test.
The pair won in the Eastern category during last night’s awards.