Newmarket/Pretoria: Brother of model Reeva Steenkamp allegedly shot dead by Oscar Pistorius flies to family
- Credit: AP
THE DEVASTATED brother of model Reeva Steenkamp, who was shot dead at the home of superstar sprinter Oscar Pistorius, has jetted out to be with his family.
South African althlete Pistorius, dubbed the “blade runner”, appeared in court this morning charged with murdering the FHM cover girl at his Pretoria mansion at around 4am yesterday.
The 26-year-old broke down and wept uncontrollably in court as prosecutors said they would pursue a charge of premeditated murder against him.
Speaking from Adam Steenkamp’s home in Moulton, near Newmarket, his wife Victoria said Reeva had been a “much-loved” sister.
She added: “As you can imagine we are deeply shocked at the news from South Africa. Reeva was a much-loved sister to Adam. She was happy and full of life – a wonderful person to be around.
“We ask that we are left alone to deal with this tragic incident in privacy.”
Mr Steenkamp, who works with the clinical medical team at the University of Cambridge, had previously told the Daily Record that he had never met Pistorius.
- 1 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 2 East Suffolk Council to form new company to deliver services after Norse contract ends
- 3 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 4 'I absolutely hate it' - Pigott on 'massively frustrating' start to life at Town
- 5 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 8 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 9 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 10 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
He said: “I love my sister very much and am deeply upset.
“I didn’t know Oscar. I have never met him and I didn’t go to the Olympics.
“My sister has only been seeing him very recently. Everything was positive at the time and she sounded happy the last time we spoke.”
Mr Steenkamp added: “My family are devastated. It’s my little sister and it’s tragic.
“As far as I know, we haven’t formally identified the body yet.”