Newmarket: Replacement Tesco store could create 200 jobs - as Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s all submit plans for town stores
- Credit: Archant
A SUPERMARKET chain has said replacing its Newmarket store with a shop almost twice the size will create about 200 jobs.
Tesco bosses, along with development partner Oaks Business Park Ltd, say they are keen to replace “the dated store” in Fornham Road with a new 9,870sq m shop.
The project would also see the building of new petrol station and boosting car parking spaces from 388 to 654.
Tesco is one of four supermarkets vying to bring a store to Newmarket, with Morrisons, Asda and Sainsbury’s also submitting applications. A ruling on all bids will be made by a special Forest Heath District Council development control committee meeting on May 22.
The stores involved appear to be stepping up the promotion of their bids, with Sainsbury’s announcing last week that Odeon would be operating a five-screen cinema at their site – also in Fordham Road – if their application went forward.
Tesco have now thrown their hat into the ring and claimed their own planning application for Newmarket was submitted before the other supermarkets in March 2011.
Simon Petar, Tesco’s corporate affairs manager, said: “It is now over two years since we jointly announced plans to build a replacement store on our existing site in Newmarket. Our commitment to that multi-million pound investment is as strong today as it was back in 2011. We will deliver a fantastic and improved shopping experience, while also creating 200 new jobs for the community.”
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 North Stander: We are where we deserve to be... and the play-offs look a long way off
The Fordham Road supermarket opened in the 1980s and Mr Petar said the store has become cramped and outdated. A spokesman for Tesco said the development would be one of the chain’s most eco-friendly.
Plans have also been submitted for a Morrisons in Exning Road, and an Asda on land backing on to Rowley Drive.