Newmarket: Town police HQ to be sold off
POLICE chiefs are planning to sell off a west Suffolk police station as part of a bid to cut costs.
Suffolk Constabulary said its current base in Newmarket is too big and no longer fit for purpose.
It plans to sell off the Vicarage Road property and instead lease a smaller site in Exeter Road.
The force claims its response policing would be unaffected by the change of building.
A spokeswoman for the police said: “As part of our strategy to meet the financial challenges facing us over the next four years, Suffolk Constabulary and Suffolk Police Authority are looking at ways to modernise and downsize the police authority estate.
You may also want to watch:
“To achieve this we are considering and evaluating a range of options, designed to create essential efficiency savings, whilst ensuring that all police accommodation is fully fit for purpose.
“This strategy involves the review of the entire police estate, and will lead to the re-location of certain services.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 3 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 6 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 7 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 10 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
“We have been seeking an alternative suitable base for the Newmarket Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT).
“The current police station in Vicarage Road is too large, was built in the 19th century, extended in the 1960’s and is no longer fit for purpose.
“Suitable premises have been selected and negotiations to secure a lease of these premises are in hand.
“This will enable the SNT to relocate from the current police station, probably by the summer of 2011.
“We are intending to relocate to office premises in Exeter Road, which is suitably located for the SNT and provides better access for the public.
“Emergency response policing in Newmarket is not affected by the proposed move.
“Preparation is underway with a view to achieving disposal of the old police station, however we are in dialogue with Norfolk Constabulary to determine whether there is likely to be any collaborative use for the building, prior to placing the premises on the market.”