Newmarket: Victim of alleged racist assault left “shocked” by gang attack
- Credit: citizenside.com
The victim of an alleged racist assault has called on his gang of attackers to come forward and explain why they did it.
The 20-year-old from Newmarket, who asked not to be named, suffered racist abuse and had beer poured over him after stopping in the town to help a rowdy group of men he believed were shouting for assistance.
The incident is the first time the victim has been subject to racism since moving to Suffolk with his parents from Pakistan three years ago, and the young sales adviser said the attack had left him “shocked”.
“It’s not like I’m worried, but I am worried if I see those guys again, or if they do it to someone else - I’d rather just stop it,” he said.
“Before, I thought it was like living in my home country, people were just normal. This is the first time anything has happened.
You may also want to watch:
“I just want to know the reason why they did it – I don’t get them.”
The alleged attack took place at around 6.50pm on Sunday along Rowley Drive towards Exning Road.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 5 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 8 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 9 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 10 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
The victim was driving his black Volkswagen Golf when he became aware of around eight men shouting. He stopped to help, wound down his window, but was initially met with verbal abuse.
Another man within the group then poured beer over his dashboard, and a third man poured beer into the victim’s eye and smashed a beer bottle over his car while making racist comments towards him.
The men then moved off in the direction of St Mary’s Square.
The group of men were aged in their late teens to early 20s, and four of them were not wearing any tops.
The main suspect is described as white and around 23 years old. He was not wearing a top and wore grey jogging bottoms.
He is described as being of strong build and around 6ft tall, his hair was shaved at the side and around 3ins on top and brown in colour.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “If you were in the area and either saw this group of men, witnessed this incident or recognise the group from the description, you are asked to contact Pc Nick Chapman at Newmarket police on 101, quoting NE/14/907, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”