Newmarket: Visitor took drug package into Highpoint Prison
- Credit: Archant
A VISITOR to a Suffolk jail was arrested after a prisoner was seen trying to swallow a package containing cannabis, a court has heard.
Staff monitoring CCTV cameras at Highpoint Prison saw a prisoner put a package in his mouth and then spit it out because it was too big to swallow, Ipswich Crown Court was told.
The man had then hidden the package in his shoe and when he was searched the package was found to contain 5.8g of cannabis, said Godfried Duah, prosecuting.
When the CCTV footage was played back it showed the prisoner being given the package by 21-year-old Conor Hughes.
Hughes, of Grays, admitted taking cannabis into a prison and was given a 16-week prison sentence suspended for 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
He was also ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work and to pay £900 costs.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 5 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 9 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 10 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich