Newsagent relives armed raid terror
A LEISTON shopkeeper, who returned work the morning after he was the victim of an armed robbery, has recalled the moment he faced a masked knifeman.
Thaya Yogarajah was coming to the end of his shift at KP Newsagents on Tuesday when a man armed with a knife entered the store and stole money from the till.
The raid happened at around 5.40pm when a male wearing a hood and scarf walked into the High Street shop and demanded cash.
Police have since arrested a teenager in connection with the robbery and released him on bail pending further inquiries.
Mr Yogarajah, who was back at work the following morning, said the masked man got away with around �700, mostly in coins. “A man came in and told me to open the till,” he added. “I said I couldn’t without a key – but then I saw the knife and I opened it.”
You may also want to watch:
The 24-year-old said he had never experienced anything similar in his time working for the family-run newsagents.
According to Mr Yogarajah, two male customers were waiting at the counter but ran from the shop as the incident unfolded. “I was alone in the shop with him. I could see only his eyes and the knife and I felt fear.”
- 1 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 2 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 3 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 4 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 5 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 40s rescued from beneath the Orwell Bridge
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 10 Vandals set light to seafront toilets
Mr Yogarajah said the shop’s CCTV cameras were on and working at the time. He added that police officers were due to analyse the footage today.
A Suffolk police spokeswoman said a 17-year-old has been arrested following the robbery, adding: “Police were called to KP Newsagents to reports that a male armed with a knife had entered the store and stolen money from the till. A 17-year-old was arrested a short time later.”
The teenager was taken into custody at Lowestoft Police Station where he was interviewed by officers before being bailed.
Police are asking anyone who may have been in the area at the time to come forward if they saw anything that may help enquiries. If you can assist, call Leiston CID on 01473 613500.