Pub aims to become village 'focal hub' with planned new built-in shop
- Credit: Google
A pub which is the "last remaining community facility" for Newton Green residents is planning to open a small shop unit.
The landlord of the Saracens Head, in Sudbury Road, has applied to Babergh District Council in a bid to open a store inside the pub.
Due to the loss of other stores and a growing population, the pub's owner, Mrs Faulkner, has seen an opportunity to open a store that "would serve the community and passing trade", planning documents said.
The proposed store would add "variety and richness" and allow the pub to become a "focal hub" in the small village.
The documents added: "It is hoped that the pub/food trade can return to a capacity that existed prior to Covid-19 and when public confidence in eating out has been gained.
You may also want to watch:
"But in such uncertain times and through a need to diversify, these proposals are seen as providing a much needed facility."
- 1 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 4 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 5 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
- 8 Returning fans, new faces and a visit from Premier League royalty - Town face Crystal Palace as pre-season moves up a gear
- 9 Town expecting more than 6,000 fans for Crystal Palace friendly
- 10 Warnock on Town target Coulson's absence from Middlesbrough squad