WATCH: Nigel Farage arrives in Clacton for Brexit Party rally
- Credit: PA
Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has arrived in Clacton to launch his new group’s European election campaign in the East of England.
He is holding a rally in front of Clacton Pier in a bid to evoke memories of one of his greatest political triumphs when UKIP won the Clacton parliamentary seat in a by-election in 2014.
Mr Farage is expected to unveil the party’s seven MEP candidates for the region at the event – and has been promising a “star name” at the head of the list.
It is already known that one of the candidates will be June Mummery of the Lowestoft Fish Market Alliance – one of the loudest voices against the Common Fisheries Policy of the EU.
His launch comes the day after Change UK, formed by The Independent Group of MPs who left the Labour and Conservative Parties earlier this year, unveiled their candidates for seats across the country.
Other parties have also unveiled their candidates – whose nominations all have to be published by 4pm tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
Opinion polls suggest that the Brexit Party could be set for a good result in the European Elections – it has been formed with the sole aim of pulling the UK out of the EU and has attracted the support of most of those voted to Strasbourg under the UKIP banner five years ago.
The party has also announced that former Conservative minister Anne Widdecombe is to be a candidate in the south east of England.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
- 7 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 8 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 9 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 10 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop