Norfolk: Child’s miraculous escape after car ploughs through his bedroom wall
A CHILD miraculously escaped injury when an Audi careered out of control and crashed through his bedroom wall.
The family, a couple and their two children, were awoken by the collision in Norwich Road, Strumpshaw - east of Norwich - at about 2am.
Mark Bedwell, watch manager at Acle fire station, said: “We found the car had collided with the house and caused considerable structural damage.
“We immediately evacuated the family from the property and called a structural engineer to come and inspect it. He advised it was best to leave the car in place until the house could be properly shored up.”
He said it appeared that the car had been travelling down Mill Road and failed to stop at the junction with Norwich Road in front of the house.
“The car mainly collided with one of the children’s bedrooms so it was extremely lucky no one was seriously injured. I believe the boy in the bedroom was checked over by an ambulance crew at the scene.”
The family, who were able to stay in one part of their house, declined to talk about their experiences this morning,
- 1 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 2 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 4 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 5 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 6 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 7 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory at Forest Green
- 9 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 10 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
Police confirmed they had arrested one man on suspicion of drink-driving.
A spokesman for the East Anglian Ambulance Service confirmed that a crew had checked over a teenage boy at the scene. He had minor injuries and shock but did not need to go to hospital.