Norfolk: Two bodies recovered by divers in Norfolk Broads tragedy
POLICE searching for two people on the Norfolk Broads have confirmed that two bodies have been recovered.
The bodies were discovered in water this afternoon between Salhouse Broad and Wroxham Broad after a search was carried out of the location during today by divers.
The body of a woman was discovered shortly after 2pm and the body of a male discovered shortly after 4.35pm.
Both deaths are currently being treated as unexplained though police are not looking for anyone else in connection to the incident.
The search was instigated following a report to police at 5pm last night (Saturday 1 September) that a holiday hire boat had not been returned as arranged at the end of the week.
You may also want to watch:
The boat was quickly located and a 13-year-old girl was found to be on board alone but unharmed. She has been informed of the development and is being comforted by relatives. The river has been re-opened to boating traffic.
The boat has been recovered and returned to a boat yard at Horning where it continues to be examined.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
The coroner has been informed and Home Office post mortem examinations are due to be carried out tomorrow, Monday, to establish the cause of death.
Detective Superintendent Pete Hornby of the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team, overseeing the investigation, said: “We are in the early stages of our investigation and working to establish the sequence of events which led to this evening’s tragic outcome.
“The motives surrounding the incident remain unclear, but at this time we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths.”
Formal identification of the bodies will take place in due course.