Norwich Road motorists face 12 weeks of hassle as work starts rebuilding mini-roundabouts on Monday
Work to rebuild the Norwich Road mini-roundabouts is set to start on Monday – with motorists facing 12 weeks of disruption as the junction is rebuilt.
The work will see a new set of pedestrian traffic lights installed on Norwich Road outside the Westwood Court sheltered housing development and new cycle lanes built.
The whole junction will be resurfaced – although the original plan to replace the mini-roundabouts with a traffic-light junction was dropped last year.
The project is one of the last official elements of the Travel Ipswich project – and should be completed by the end of April.
Norwich Road, Valley Road, and Chevallier Street will all be closed for a time during the work and the smaller junction of Blenheim Road and Norwich Road will be closed for the entire 12 weeks.
A council spokesman said the county realised the work would be inconvenient, but it was many years since the junction had had major work and it was necessary to bring it up to date.
He said: “The junction is looking a bit down at heel and does need resurfacing so we are including all this work in the project.”
- 1 Travellers pitch up at popular park in east Suffolk town
- 2 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 3 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's Carabao Cup exit
- 5 Suffolk villagers say 70 homes development creating 'dust storm'
- 6 Keogh: Why I've joined Town and what I'm here to do
- 7 Man bitten by dog during fight in east Suffolk street
- 8 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 9 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 10 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their Colchester loss
The road closures are:
Westwood Avenue (at its junction with Norwich Road) – 2 to 22 February
A1214 Valley Road northbound) – 16 to 22 February
Norwich Road (east of Chevallier Street, westbound only) – 23 February until 15 March
Chevallier Street (between Waterloo Road and Norwich Road, northbound only) – 16 to 31 March
Entire junction (overnight works only) – 20 to 26 April.
Diversions will be set up during the work – but have not yet been identified by the county council. They will be signposted in an attempt to ensure that disruption to traffic is minimised.