Norwich Road motorists face 12 weeks of hassle as work starts rebuilding mini-roundabouts on Monday
Work to rebuild the Norwich Road mini-roundabouts is set to start on Monday – with motorists facing 12 weeks of disruption as the junction is rebuilt.
The work will see a new set of pedestrian traffic lights installed on Norwich Road outside the Westwood Court sheltered housing development and new cycle lanes built.
The whole junction will be resurfaced – although the original plan to replace the mini-roundabouts with a traffic-light junction was dropped last year.
The project is one of the last official elements of the Travel Ipswich project – and should be completed by the end of April.
Norwich Road, Valley Road, and Chevallier Street will all be closed for a time during the work and the smaller junction of Blenheim Road and Norwich Road will be closed for the entire 12 weeks.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said the county realised the work would be inconvenient, but it was many years since the junction had had major work and it was necessary to bring it up to date.
He said: “The junction is looking a bit down at heel and does need resurfacing so we are including all this work in the project.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 9 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 Village pub given go-ahead to expand dining area
The road closures are:
Westwood Avenue (at its junction with Norwich Road) – 2 to 22 February
A1214 Valley Road northbound) – 16 to 22 February
Norwich Road (east of Chevallier Street, westbound only) – 23 February until 15 March
Chevallier Street (between Waterloo Road and Norwich Road, northbound only) – 16 to 31 March
Entire junction (overnight works only) – 20 to 26 April.
Diversions will be set up during the work – but have not yet been identified by the county council. They will be signposted in an attempt to ensure that disruption to traffic is minimised.