Naked bike riders heading for Colchester and Clacton
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
The World Naked Bike Ride will be returning to Colchester this weekend and then moving on to Clacton later this month, following the event in Ipswich.
The Colchester event will take place on Saturday, July 13, with riders meeting under Jumbo water tower at 1pm.
Then the following weekend naked cyclists will ride through Clacton, meeting on Marine Parade near the Toby Carvery, again at 1pm.
Naked bikers taking part in these events aim to highlight road safety issues and cyclist vulnerability, as well as making an environmental protest against the destructive elements of car culture.
Cyclists do not necessarily have to strip off completely. Robert Brown, who organises the Clacton ride and was caretaker organiser for the Ipswich event, said: "Our motto is 'bare as you dare' but we find once people get on the bike and start cycling naked they love it."
Following the first Ipswich naked ride, Mr Brown said they eventually want to have three rides in each county in East Anglia.
There are already three in Essex - Colchester, Clacton and the Chelmsford ride, which was held in June.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 3 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 4 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 5 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 6 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 7 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 8 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 North Stander: We are where we deserve to be... and the play-offs look a long way off
The first event in East Anglia was in Clacton in 2013 where the ride initially faced opposition from council leaders after they received complaints.