Official launch of Colchester’s new Charter Market
- Credit: Su Anderson
Colchester’s new Charter Market was officially launched yesterday with a day of celebration.
The market, which has returned to the High Street for the first time in a number of years, has newly branded stalls.
It is hoped the facility, which operates on Fridays and Saturdays, will lure both borough residents and visitors from further afield into the town centre.
Following a soft launch on Good Friday the market was officially opened on by Colchester mayor John Elliott cutting the ribbon.
To mark the occasion there were food samples, music and Colchester United mascot Eddie the Eagle – and even the town crier was on hand to help spread the word.
Set up by Colchester Borough Council (CBC), the new stalls have an electricity supply and side awnings.
Anne Turrell, councillor for economic development and regeneration at CBC, said: “I am extremely proud we are celebrating the opening of the market in its new home.
- 1 McKenna on Hladky and Bakinson futures
- 2 Controversial statue on Stowmarket roundabout gets green light
- 3 5 of the prettiest villages in Suffolk
- 4 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 5 Go-ahead given for 74 new affordable homes for Suffolk town
- 6 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 7 'Let's turn this into a fortress' - Town season ticket sales hit 16k
- 8 Mike Bacon: A perfect start to hopefully a perfect season
- 9 Plans for second village school scrapped in favour of bigger site
- 10 Woman in her 70s dies after serious crash in Hadleigh
“We know the public were keen for the market to return to the High Street for some time and we are pleased to have made this happen.
“The stalls look fantastic and it’s a credit to the market traders that the new site looks so fresh, welcoming and vibrant. The feedback we have been getting is really positive.
“I would encourage anyone who has not yet visited to pop along to see for themselves how fantastic it looks.”
The Colchester Market team is planning a series of activities for Love Your Local Market, an international celebration of markets across 19 countries, which takes place in May.