Official launch of Colchester’s new Charter Market
- Credit: Su Anderson
Colchester’s new Charter Market was officially launched yesterday with a day of celebration.
The market, which has returned to the High Street for the first time in a number of years, has newly branded stalls.
It is hoped the facility, which operates on Fridays and Saturdays, will lure both borough residents and visitors from further afield into the town centre.
Following a soft launch on Good Friday the market was officially opened on by Colchester mayor John Elliott cutting the ribbon.
To mark the occasion there were food samples, music and Colchester United mascot Eddie the Eagle – and even the town crier was on hand to help spread the word.
You may also want to watch:
Set up by Colchester Borough Council (CBC), the new stalls have an electricity supply and side awnings.
Anne Turrell, councillor for economic development and regeneration at CBC, said: “I am extremely proud we are celebrating the opening of the market in its new home.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 6 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 7 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 8 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 9 Village pub given go-ahead to expand dining area
- 10 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
“We know the public were keen for the market to return to the High Street for some time and we are pleased to have made this happen.
“The stalls look fantastic and it’s a credit to the market traders that the new site looks so fresh, welcoming and vibrant. The feedback we have been getting is really positive.
“I would encourage anyone who has not yet visited to pop along to see for themselves how fantastic it looks.”
The Colchester Market team is planning a series of activities for Love Your Local Market, an international celebration of markets across 19 countries, which takes place in May.