Ofsted praise progress under principal Garry Trott after latest visit to Westbourne Academy, Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Ofsted has said that Westbourne Academy in Ipswich is heading in the right direction under principal Garry Trott, following an inspection last month.
The academy is currently rated as “requires improvement” but inspectors have recognised that the quality of teaching and behaviour of students has improved since becoming an academy in January 2013.
Following the visit last month, inspectors noted that Mr Trott, who was appointed principal in September last year, is “building upon the work done by his predecessor and is driving improvement forward at an increasingly rapid rate”, as well as being “well placed to continue improving quickly”.
Inspectors added that by “working with staff, senior leaders and governors, he has raised expectations for students’ behaviour and attainment”.
Last year, the academy celebrated its best GCSE results, as the percentage of pupils achieving five or more A*-Cs increased from 31 per cent in 2013 to 52 per cent.
Mr Trott said: “We are really pleased the progress already made within our academy was acknowledged by the Ofsted team.
“However, we still have challenges ahead and clear plans are in place to ensure further improvements are made.
- 1 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 2 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 3 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 4 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 5 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 6 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
- 7 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 8 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 9 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 10 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
“Moving forward, we are focused on continuing to improve teaching and raising pupils’ achievements, as well as key areas such as our curriculum and training opportunities for our staff.”
Ian Cleland, chief executive of Academy Transformation Trust which sponsors Westbourne Academy, added: “We are all on a journey together and are totally committed to providing our pupils with the first-class education they deserve.”