Oktoberfest event cancelled amid coronavirus fears
- Credit: RACHEL EDGE
An Oktoberfest event due to take place in Suffolk has been blocked by the local council due to a rise in coronavirus cases.
The Oktoberfest event at Dullingham Polo Field was set to take place today, with more than 1,600 people registering their interest via Facebook.
However, council officials have has blocked organisers from letting the event go forward due to rising coronavirus infections across the county.
Organisers Deutschfest stressed the event would follow social distancing guidelines, with guests unable to leave their tables unless going to the toilet or going to smoke.
Posting on Facebook, a Deutschfest spokesman said organisers are devastated by the decision.
You may also want to watch:
They said: “Our team have been frantically trying to secure a new location, contacting all of the venues in the area, but in the end the timescales just made it impossible to put things in place.
“We are so very sorry to cancel the event at such a late stage.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 5 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 6 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 8 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket
“Please can we ask that you kindly bear with us whilst we try to piece things together. We will release a full statement, ticket information and event details over the next few days.”
The company has not confirmed whether another Oktoberfest event due to take place in Bury St Edmunds on October 31 will still take place.