One killed in horror crash
THE grim toll of death on Suffolk's roads rose last night when a motorist was killed and another driver left fighting for his life.A man, who has not been identified, was killed in a two-vehicle accident near Sudbury.
By Richard Smith
THE grim toll of death on Suffolk's roads rose last night when a motorist was killed and another driver left fighting for his life.
A man, who has not been identified, was killed in a two-vehicle accident near Sudbury. He was driving a Ford Galaxy and was taken by ambulance to Colchester General Hospital where he died.
The driver of a Ford Mondeo was said to be in a ''serious'' condition at the West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St Edmunds.
You may also want to watch:
The accident happened shortly before 6.30pm on the B1508 at Bures. Police, fire and ambulance services rushed to the scene, including two fire crews from Sudbury and a rescue tender from Bury St Edmunds. Fire crews had to free the drivers from their cars.
The two drivers were said by police to be local to the area but no other personal details were available.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 7 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 10 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
The death was the third on the county's roads this year, continuing the alarming rise in the number of lives being lost.
There were 59 people killed on the county's roads last year - the highest death toll for 13 years.
On New Year's Day a teenage motorcyclist died on the A1152 at Melton, and on January 6 a 24-year-old man from Kent died on the B1506 between Kentford and Newmarket.
Meanwhile, a six-year-old boy badly injured when the truck he was travelling in was crushed between two lorries was still in a critical condition last night .
The youngster, who was trapped for almost an hour, is being treated in the intensive care unit at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, where doctors yesterday said his condition remained "critical but stable".
He was airlifted to the hospital with serious head, pelvic and abdominal injuries after the accident, which happened as he was being driven to school by his father on the B1506 road between Kentford and Newmarket at about 8am on Thursday.
The crash happened just yards from the scene of the horrific fatal accident only 48 hours earlier.
Meanwhile, a man and woman, believed to be husband and wife, remain in hospital after they were seriously injured in a collision on the A143 at Great Barton, near Bury St Edmunds, last weekend.
The woman's condition is described as "critical but stable" and the man is said to be "stable".
Suffolk police appealed for any witnesses to last night's accident to contact Pc 1189 Sergeant at the traffic unit on 01473 613500.