Orford: Pump Street Bakery boasts ‘Britain’s best baguette’
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk bakery’s traditional long thin loaf has been crowned best in the land by a panel of bread experts.
Pump Street Bakery, in Orford, scooped the title of ‘best baguette’ at the Tiptree World Bread Awards in London.
Judges also gave gold standard approval to two of the bakery’s sourdough breads - the Iken, and the Vermont walnut and sour cherry.
Joanna Brennan, who founded the bakery and cafe with her father, Chris, in 2010, explained a good baguette should have a crispy crust and be light and moist inside. She added: “It’s probably the most time sensitive of breads, and should really be eaten on the day it’s bought. That’s why we bake them fresh every day. I would recommend enjoying the crust with soup or some cheese.
“It’s a popular choice here - particularly for picnics in the summer.”
You may also want to watch:
The awards were launched earlier this year to celebrate professional, artisan and home-baking. Judging took place at the Worshipful Company of Bakers in September, with the winners announced at an awards evening harvest supper at St John’s, Hyde Park, this week.
The judging panel included food writer Xanthe Clay, TV chef Phil Vickery, and Real Bread Campaign founder, Andrew Whitley.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 5 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 6 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 7 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 Exit Interview: Ward was the model pro who started fast but simply ran out of steam