Uncertainty over Orwell Bridge closure continues as Storm Gareth hits Suffolk
- Credit: PA
A yellow weather warning is in place as East Anglia braces itself for the arrival of Storm Gareth which is expected to batteri the region with wind speeds of up to 60mph.
The Atlantic storm is slowly moving across the UK, hitting the east this morning, bringing strong winds throughout the day and potentially forcing the Orwell Bridge to close.
Highways England will closely monitor wind speeds today in case it needs to order the closure of the Orwell Bridge.
Officials at Ipswich Borough Council will be meeting early this morning to appraise the situation as its develops.
In the event of the closoure of the Orwell Bridge, there will be widespread congestion as traffic is diverted through Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
The borough council has already issued a warning to Ipswich residents to keep away from wooded areas as the Storm strikes.
A decision on whether to open or close the town’s major parks will also be taken early on. However, some open spaces cannot be locked and a warning is going out to keep away from wooded areas in the expected high winds.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 3 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 4 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 9 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
- 10 Missing person from Braintree has been found
Any update on the closure of the bridge will be announced on our website as we receive the news.