Orwell Bridge drama
A MAN had to be rescued from jumping from the Orwell Bridge in Ipswich this afternoon.
A MAN had to be talked down from jumping off the Orwell Bridge in Ipswich this afternoon.
The drama unfolded at just before 1.30pm when a passing ambulance crew spotted a man walking along the bridge.
The police were called to the incident and managed to get the man to retreat from the edge.
An East of England Ambulance Spokesman said: “He was threatening to throw himself off the bridge and we required the assistance of the police.”
Members of the public watched on as police officers managed to safely remove the man.
Congestion built up as they temporarily closed the Orwell Bridge while they dealt with the incident on the Felixstowe-bound carriageway.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 6 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 7 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
A spokesperson for Suffolk Police said traffic was moving freely again shortly afterwards.