Orwell Bridge currently closed and not likely to reopen before morning rush hour
- Credit: Gregg Brown
The Orwell Bridge is currently closed due to high winds from Storm Eleanor and is expected to stay shut through the morning rush hour.
Highways England says it will continue to monitor wind speeds closely before making a decision about when to reopen the bridge, based on the safety of road users.
It is uncertain what time the bridge will reopen but it is likely to be closed during the peak morning travel time, which will cause significant traffic congestion in Ipswich.
A statement from Highways England said: “Once the Orwell Bridge is closed, the planned diversion route is via the A1156, A1189 and A1214 through Ipswich.
“Drivers planning to travel are encouraged to plan their journey in advance and check the latest weather and traffic conditions along the route. You can get the latest forecast from BBC weather, the Met Office, and local radio.
You may also want to watch:
“Drivers making journeys across the region should be aware of sudden gusts of wind, and give high-sided vehicles, caravans, motorbikes and bicycles plenty of space.”
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 8 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 9 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
- 10 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop