Parents call for ‘legal high’ to be outlawed

THE heartbroken parents of a mortgage adviser who died after apparently taking a legal high called Ivory Wave are calling for the substance to be banned.

THE heartbroken parents of a mortgage adviser who died after apparently taking a legal high called Ivory Wave are calling for the substance to be banned.

They say Sarah Forsyth, 35, was left brain dead after swallowing the substance which she ordered for �18 on the internet.

Her devastated parents, Mary and Robin Moyle, have called for the legal stimulant, which is sold as relaxing bath salts, to be banned.

Mrs Moyle said: “I think this stuff should be outlawed.


You may also want to watch:


“Anybody can get hold of it – it can be ordered on the internet and it arrives in two days. Children could get hold of it.

“I want to warn as many people against taking it and I want it banned as soon as possible.”

Most Read

Ivory Wave is one of the legal highs available for sale in the UK after the drug mephedrone, known as Meow Meow, was outlawed in April.

Mrs Moyle, 60, a cleaner and exam invigilator, said her daughter used to work as a mortgage adviser and nanny before being forced to give up work because of depression.

She moved back home with her parents, in Braintree, and started to take Ivory Wave because she said it helped her forget her problems.

Mrs Moyle said: “She just found it looking on the internet for something to take the pain away.

“We all tried desperately to stop her taking it but she didn’t listen. She said it helped her to forget.”

She added: “She was taking it all the time. She was diabetic too and sometimes she wouldn’t take her insulin. She said it helped her, but I don’t think it did.

“When she was on it she was a different person. She was paranoid that everyone was against her – she even told the police someone was trying to get into her flat a few weeks before she died.”

On August 6, Sarah returned home at 11am and told her mother she was going to bed because she was tired. At 4.30pm, her mother found her asleep and could not wake her up.

She said: “I phoned NHS Direct and they sent paramedics. They said she was in a coma. I went with her in an ambulance and they put her on life support.

“When we first went in, the doctor told us she might die and that she was in a very deep coma.

“But we still hoped she might pull through.”

Sarah spent 12 days in intensive care at Broomfield Hospital, in Chelmsford, and a CAT scan revealed her brain was swollen.

Doctors took her off the life support as she was breathing on her own and transferred her to the neurological department but she still did not wake up. Tragically, she died in Broomfield Hospital, on August 21.

Her mother said: “Her heart rate went up so high they said there was no way she could sustain that, and in the end her heart just gave up. My one consolation is that she didn’t suffer.”

Mrs Moyle and her husband, 65, a retired school caretaker, said they wanted to make sure no-one else was tempted to seek thrills in taking legal highs.

She said: “We are convinced she died from taking this stuff. The doctors told us it was so new they didn’t know much about it.”

Ivory Wave is for sale on the internet with sellers stressing it is “not for human consumption”.

A spokesperson for the Home Office said: “Users need to be aware that just because a substance is advertised as ‘legal’ does not necessarily mean it is legal or ‘safe’.

“Evidence suggests that substances advertised as Ivory Wave could contain harmful, illegal drugs.

“Anyone buying these substances could be risking their health by using a dangerous or harmful drug and could also be breaking the law.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus