Parents’ pride at New Year’s babies
PROUD parents have spoken of their delight after having babies born on New Year’s Day.
Senior midwife Julie Hinchcliffe confirmed 11 babies had been born at Colchester General Hospital – including twins Preston and Olivia Gregiore – while two more came into the world at the maternity unit in Clacton.
She said: “It’s been very busy, but that’s not unusual. We deal with over 4,000 births a year, so to see 13 on one day is normal.
“Everything went well and most of the mothers have now left us and returned home. We wish them all the best for the future.”
The first mother in north east Essex to give birth on New Year’s Day was Jodie Holman, of Holland- on-Sea, whose daughter, Romey Rose Inniss, was born at 12.34am, weighing 6lbs 14oz. Romey’s father is Martyn Inniss and she has an 11-month-old brother, Billy.
You may also want to watch:
“We were expecting her to be born on Christmas Day,” said Jodie. “But we’re delighted to have a New Year’s Day baby. My mum says other people in the family have also been born on that day, so it must be a tradition.
“Her brother, Billy, isn’t sure what to make of her at the moment. They had a bit of a stare-off today. I’m sure they’ll be friends soon.”
- 1 Married Matt Hancock accused of affair after he is pictured kissing aide
- 2 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 3 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 4 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 5 Town considering move for Birmingham striker Cosgrove
- 6 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 7 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 8 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 9 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Judge tells jury majority verdict allowed
Dillon Michael Southernwood weighed 7lbs 8oz when he was born at the Colchester hospital to Karen Fair, 34, and Jason Southernwood, 32, at 11.50am. He has a brother, Joel Fair, and two sisters, Chloe and Elisha Southernwood.
Dad Jason, of Alexandra Road, Colchester, said: “He was born about 10 days late. We were expecting him before Christmas, but we’re all really pleased to have a New Year’s Day baby.
“His birthday is all the ones so it makes it easy for me to remember. Mother and baby are both doing well. They’re breast feeding, so I don’t have to do very much and can get some sleep.”