Pensioner denies sexual assault on schoolgirl half a century ago
- Credit: Archant
A 75- year- old Essex man sexually assaulted a schoolgirl nearly 50 years ago while he was babysitting, it has been alleged.
Alec Smith allegedly touched the eight-year-old girl indecently after pulling her underwear to one side while they were sitting on a sofa, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
The girl told her mother what had allegedly happened when she got home that night and there had been a conversation between her and Smith’s wife, said Richard Potts, prosecuting.
He said Smith’s wife had returned home in tears after the conversation and refused to tell him why she was upset.
The girl’s mother allegedly told another of her children what her daughter had told her but thereafter the incident was “swept under the carpet”, said Mr Potts.
You may also want to watch:
The alleged victim contacted the police in February last year and following his arrest Smith denied indecently touching the girl
Smith of Little Wood, Kirby Cross, Frinton-on-Sea, has denied indecently assaulting the girl between September 1968 and September 1969 when he was 26.
- 1 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 2 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 5 Matchday Live: Bonne thumps Town ahead at Lincoln
- 6 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy
The trial continues.