Pensioner killed in crash
A PENSIONER has died and a cyclist been left seriously injured following two separate accidents on the region's roads.The fatal smash happened yesterday when a car driven by an elderly man, who is believed to be in his 70s, was in collision with a tree in Coupals Road, Haverhill.
A PENSIONER has died and a cyclist been left seriously injured following two separate accidents on the region's roads.
The fatal smash happened yesterday when a car driven by an elderly man, who is believed to be in his 70s, was in collision with a tree in Coupals Road, Haverhill.
Emergency services were called and medics pronounced the man dead at the scene of the accident at around 11.30am.
The route was closed until 3.30pm as officers investigating the incident carried out an examination of the road and cleared the wreckage of the driver's green Daewoo Lanos.
You may also want to watch:
“The driver of that vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene of the collision,” said Mike Nunn, spokesman for Suffolk police.
“The road was closed off while emergency services dealt with the incident and police investigated the cause of the collision.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 4 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 5 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 6 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 7 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 8 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
“Although formal identification has not yet taken place and next of kin are still to be informed, he is believed to be in 70s and from the Haverhill area.
“We would appeal for anyone with information regarding the collision to contact the roads policing unit.”
Police in Cambridgeshire have also appealed for information following a collision which left a male cyclist with “serious injuries”.
The 44-year-old, from Newmarket, was riding along the A1303 at Stoke-cum-Quy at around 8am on Friday when the accident, which also involved a blue Volkswagen transporter, happened.
He was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, where his condition was last night described as stable.
The driver of the Volkswagen, a 43-year-old man from Newmarket, escaped from the crash uninjured.
Pc Neil Jackson, of Cambridgeshire police, said: “I would appeal to anyone who was in the area at the time of the collision, or who saw either vehicle in the moments leading up to the collision, to get in touch.”
Anyone with information about the accident in Quy should contact Pc Jackson, of Cambridgeshire police, on 0845 4564564.
Witnesses to the fatal collision in Haverhill should contact officers from Suffolk's road policing unit, based in Bury St Edmunds, on 01284 774100.