Word on the Street: What are your New Year’s resolutions?
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
As the new year begins we asked people in Ipswich what their New Year’s resolutions were.
New Year’s resolutions have been around for centuries. The Romans began each year by making resolutions/promises to the god Janus.
Babylonians also made promises to their gods at the start of each year – that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts.
Last year, more than 20% of UK adults said they would be making New Year’s resolutions for the year ahead.
Royal bride-to-be Meghan Markle sets herself the same resolution every year – to give up swearing and stop biting her nails.
• Read more: Tell us your New Year’s resolutions here.
You may also want to watch:
The most common resolutions are to lose weight, exercise more, save more money, improve diet, pursue a career ambition, spend more time with family, take up a new hobby, decorate your home and cut down on alcohol.
• Read more: Confess your Christmas re-gifting crimes.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 3 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 4 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 Husband pays tribute to 'soulmate' and mum-of-four after cancer death
- 8 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 9 Missing person from Braintree has been found
- 10 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure