Spectacular Mildenhall Air Fete photos and memories feature in Days Gone By
- Credit: Archant
What are your memories of Mildenhall Air Fete over the years?
As hopes rise for the future of RAF Mildenhall, today we look back at the hugely popular air shows at the Suffolk base, with photos from the 1960s to 1990s.
The annual air show was the biggest event of its kind in Europe, but sadly increased security concerns following the 9/11 terrorist attacks meant it never returned after 2001.
Our photo gallery shows some spectacular displays over the decades, and the crowds flocking to see them, whatever the weather.
In 1988, photographer Andy Abbott had a bird’s eye view from the back of a Hercules, as the RAF Falcons freefall parachute display team made their dramatic exit over the airfield.
You may also want to watch:
This week it was announced that US air force personnel due to be transferred from RAF Mildenhall to Germany will not be moving after all.
The base had been earmarked for closure from 2027 but the latest news has led to hopes it will now have a long-term future.
Email us your memories of Mildenhall air shows or write to Judy Rimmer, Newsroom, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 1RS.
To order copies of photos, visit the website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from