Controversial plans for 290 Rendlesham homes recommended for refusal

Land in Rendlesham could be developed for up to 300 homes. Picture: TOM POTTER

Land in Rendlesham could be developed for up to 300 homes. Picture: TOM POTTER - Credit: Tom Potter

A decision over controversial plans to build nearly 300 homes in Rendlesham is to be made on Monday – with planners recommending the plans are rejected.

Parish council clerk, Heather Heelis, at the public exhibition on plans for up to 300 homes in Rendl

Parish council clerk, Heather Heelis, at the public exhibition on plans for up to 300 homes in Rendlesham. Picture: TOM POTTER - Credit: Tom Potter

Christchurch Property submitted outline plans shortly before Christmas to build 290 homes off Redwald Road, which also includes car parking, open space and allotment provision.

The scheme was first unveiled in July when a public exhibition was held, and at the time Rendlesham Parish Council was broadly in support of elements of the plan which complied with the neighbourhood plan – around 50 homes of the proposals – and could secure infrastructure development.

However, part of the scheme is outside the physical boundary of Rendlesham, which has been a key concern.

On Monday, a special planning committee at Suffolk Coastal District Council will decide on the plans, which have been recommended for refusal by planning officers.

The executive summary for the meeting said: “The application is recommended for refusal on the grounds that the majority of the site is outside the physical limits to Rendlesham, the development is not necessary, adverse highway impact, impact on nearby special protection areas, poor relationship with existing development.”


You may also want to watch:


The greenfield site had previously been the subject for two planning applications in 1986 to build 300 homes for US Air Force personnel – both of which were refused on the grounds that it would intrude development.

Heather Heelis, parish clerk for Rendlesham Parish Council said: “The parish council would support all those reasons and in their reasons [submitted] to Suffolk Coastal for the planning application the application is non-compliant with the neighbourhood plan.

Most Read

“There is no benefit to Rendlesham whatsoever.”

Others formally objecting included Eyke Parish Council, Campsea Ashe Parish Council and Suffolk county councillor Alexander Nicoll.

A spokesman from Richard Brown Planning, which represents developers Christchurch, was unavailable for comment at the time of going to press, but previously said that more homes would allow for the development of more facilities.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus