Police appeal for witnesses after attempted rape of woman in Witham
- Credit: Su Anderson
A woman was able to fight off a man who attempted to rape her in Witham this morning.
The victim, aged in her 20s, was walking in an alleyway near to Bramble Road, at around 8.45am, when a man approached her from behind before physically assaulting her.
During the altercation, she was able to fight him off and the man ran off in the direction of the park next to Bramble Road.
The woman is believed to have suffered minor injuries in the incident.
The man is described as in his 40s, white, around 6ft tall, and of stocky build. He had dark, bushy eyebrows and short, shaved dark hair.
You may also want to watch:
He wore a black puffed jacket with a hood and bright blue denim jeans, and carried a grey and black backpack.
The victim described him as speaking with a foreign accent.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 10 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
Detective Inspector Mark Barber, said: “We want to hear from anyone who was near the location of the incident this morning, or who since then believes they may have seen the suspect.
“The woman has been subjected to an awful ordeal today, and is being supported by specially trained officers.
“Please get in touch with us immediately if you have information which can help our enquiries.
“We have officers in the area conducting house to house enquiries, and would like to offer reassurance that this is being treated as an isolated incident.
“Witham is a safe place to live and incidents like this are very unusual.”
Patrick Horner, town and district councillor for the area, said: “Something like this happening at 8.45am is a real surprise.
“It’s generally a nice area and this is an unusual occurrence, I can’t think of anything like that happening.
“We keep the streetlights on at night for people coming back late from London, and even then we have not had anything like that happen.”
• Anyone with information is asked to contact Essex Police on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.