Man arrested on suspicion of murder remains in custody following fatal stabbing of teenager in Ipswich
PUBLISHED: 09:20 04 June 2018 | UPDATED: 11:10 04 June 2018
A 41-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder remains in police custody this morning after a 17-year-old boy was stabbed to death in Ipswich on Saturday.
Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward as they investigate the attack, which happened at around 4.50pm in Packard Avenue, in the Nacton area of the town, on Saturday, June 2.
Police are particularly keen for anyone with CCTV, dash cam or mobile phone footage from the area of Queen’s Way, Packard Avenue, Rands Way or Kingsway, between 12pm and 7.45pm on Saturday to make contact.
The teenage victim has been named locally as Tavis Spencer Aitkins.
Heartfelt tributes have been left at the scene of the stabbing – including colourful flowers, balloons, photographs, notes and cards.
One letter pinned to a tree reads: “Rest up Big Boy. We all miss you so much we are praying for you. You were like an older cousin to me it’s unbelievable you’ve gone this quick R.I.P. It’s all so stupid it shouldn’t have been you.”
Suffolk police said there will be an increase in patrols across the town this week following the launch of the murder investigation.
Emergency services, including the air ambulance and a police helicopter, rushed to the scene following reports that a teenager had been stabbed.
He was taken to Ipswich Hospital but died of his injuries, a police spokesman said.
Speaking on Sunday, Detective Chief Inspector Mike Brown, of the major investigation team, described the attack as a ‘horrendous crime’.
He said: “I am appealing for anyone who witnessed this cowardly and violent attack, or who was in the local area and saw any suspicious persons or activity yesterday afternoon, to contact us immediately.
“Our detectives are already pursuing numerous lines of enquiry as we work to identify and locate the people responsible for this horrendous crime.
“Although we believe this to have been a targeted incident, we understand it will have caused a great deal of concern to the local community, so as a result residents can expect to see a heightened police presence over the coming days.”
Neighbours have spoken of their shock following the stabbing on Saturday.
One neighbour, who lives near the end of the road, described the teenager as a lovely boy’.
He said: “He always used to say ‘hello’ to me ... he’s a lovely boy and I nearly saw him every day.
“He went out of his way to say ‘hello’ every time I saw him.
“He’s one of the best young lads from around here and there’s no malice in him.”
Detectives currently believe that this was a targeted attack and initial witness reports stated that the victim was walking back from the shops in Queen’s Way when he was approached by two males on bicycles who attacked him.
They were then joined by four to five other males who further assaulted him, before all the offenders fled the scene.
Anyone with information should call the major investigation team on 101 quoting reference CAD 306 of June 2.
Alternatively call the charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.