Police investigate resort beach rape

By David LennardPART of a resort's beach was sealed off as part of a police investigation into a rape of a 20-year-old woman.A 100-yard stretch of South Beach in Lowestoft was cordoned off yesterday morning while scenes of crime officers searched for clues.

By David Lennard

PART of a resort's beach was sealed off as part of a police investigation into a rape of a 20-year-old woman.

A 100-yard stretch of South Beach in Lowestoft was cordoned off yesterday morning while scenes of crime officers searched for clues.

A 20-year-old woman has told police she had been raped either late Thursday night or early yesterday morning.


You may also want to watch:


The area where the attack took place is known as Tides Reach and is close to the lifeguard station between the harbour entrance and Claremont Pier.

The victim is understood to be extremely shaken and has been unable so far to give police officers a full account of what happened. Specially-trained police officers are waiting to interview her.

Most Read

It is the second sex attack to in Lowestoft in the past week following the serious sexual assault on a disabled man in the resort on December 5.

The 25-year-old wheelchair-bound was befriended by a man, who said he would help him visit a pub in the town's High Street at about 11.30pm on December 5.

But he pushed the victim to a loading bay behind the Woolworths store in London Road North and an alley off Regent Road, where he carried out the serious sex assault.

Detectives investigating the sex attack have interviewed more than 300 people so far and released yesterday an artist's impression of a man they wish to speak to in connection with the crime.

The main shopping area of Lowestoft is covered by security cameras and the attacker has been identified as wearing a white top with two distinctive black hoops on each sleeve.

Shortly before carrying out the attack he was seen talking to two men and a woman in the centre of Lowestoft.

Officers need to speak to these people or anyone else who may have information about the assault that has left the victim traumatised.

Detectives have praised the victim for coming forward, but have been disappointed with the response to their appeals for help from members of the public.

Suffolk police spokeswoman, Anne-Marie Breach, said: “We are very disappointed we haven't had more people coming forward.

“We know there were other people around who may have information which could be crucial.”

Anyone with information about either sex attack should contact Suffolk police on 01986 835300.

david.lennard@eadt.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus